Lamaze Childbirth Education
Prenatal classes come in all sizes and shapes and do not always focus on the same material. While hospital prenatal classes tend to focus on nuts and bolts about birth, Lamaze classes focus on giving you hands on coping practice to build your confidence for the physical and emotional challenges of labour in addition to the birthing basics.
Our prenatal classes give special attention to your support people’s needs for birth preparation in every activity. What will partners or birth support people need to feel confident? How will they cope with moments of fear and how do they know when and how to advocate for the birthing person during labour? Birth partners very much appreciate our classes because of the attention we allot to their unique questions and experience of birth.
Our prenatal classes prepare parents for all birth possibilities, because to be fully prepared for birth, it helps to become familiar with multiple possible birth outcomes. In our class, we prepare parents for both vaginal and cesarean birth, medicated and unmedicated birth, spontaneous labour and labour through induction.
There is no “better” way to give birth. What you feel most supported by will have the biggest positive impact on your birth experience. What unfolds isn’t always in our control so considering the unexpected allows you to feel resourceful, ready and present no matter which way your baby is born.
2022 classes: $75 per couple per class or bundle all 3 and save! Book today to reserve your spot!
Class 1: Comfort Measures, Labour Support and Birth 101
Class dates include: Feb 9 or Mar 9 (classes run 7pm-9pm Eastern Time)
- Late pregnancy health and wellness (nutrition, exercise) and anatomy
- Physical and emotional aspects of labour and birth
- Coping strategies and comfort measures (including: positioning to facilitate the normal progress of labor and birth, massage techniques to ease the pain of labour and enhance relaxation, understanding the use of heat, cold, pressure and hydrotherapy)
- Relaxation skills for use during labour and after pregnancy to relieve stress
- Understanding the importance and role of support and the impact on the childbirth experience
Class 2: Medications,Interventions and Informed Decision
Class dates include: Feb 16 or Mar 16 (classes run 7pm-9pm Eastern Time)
- Awareness and informed decision-making, navigating when plans change
- Communication skills for the pregnant person with their partner and the members of her health care team
- Medications and medical interventions (what will be available to you at the hospital you are choosing)
Class 3: Preparing for Postpartum, Baby care, and feeding baby
Class dates include: Feb 26 or Mar 26 (classes run 9am-12pm Eastern Time)
- Baby Care basics (Bathing, clothing, diapering options)
- Soothing and comforting your baby
- Normal newborn behaviours
- How to help your baby sleep longer
- Breastfeeding basics. Feeding cues, patterns, and what to expect in the first month
- Get organized – tips for a stress free month after baby arrives
- Relationship tips and tricks – communication and expectations
- It takes a Village – Support options and why its important to have help
- Baby wearing – benefits
When COVID19 is over, in-person classes will resume. Private classes available in-person if preferred (pending COVID restriction status).
We’re doulas, so we get that. Ours are too! For that reason we offer private classes. For first time parents we do 3 sessions in your home. Each session lasts about 2 hours. Cost is $360. We also offer a private 2 hour refresher class in your home – $120. * Some conditions apply, but feel free to ask us what they are. Click here for more information or to add to cart.
Cancellation/Refund Policy – 30 days notice is required to receive a refund if the need for you to cancel your participation in class arises. No refunds will be issued after this date.